Search This Blog

Saturday, November 5, 2011

Mr. Imback

Although it has been awhile since I've "blogged" it is certainly not because I have a lack of material.  No, the library is just as crazy as ever.  I'm writing tonight because I am officially done with this semester of school and I had quite a funny encounter with one of our regulars a couple of days ago.

About six months ago a rough gentleman began frequenting the library for several hours a day numerous days a week.  He claimed to be taking online courses inorder to increase his chances of acquiring a job.  He pretty much kept to himself and never really caused any trouble.  He was....shall we say unkept, and resembled more of a homeless man than a prosective employee.  His appearence and regularly lengthy visits got him lumped in as one of the regulars.  His nickname comes from what he said, more like sang, everytime he came in the front doors...."I'm baaack".  One of my co-workers started calling him Mr.Imback, and that has been his name ever since.  About a month ago he got into a very loud argument with one of his "tutors" and a shouting match insued.  The lady with whom he was arguing threw her arms up and shouted something about not putting up with him any longer and stormed out the door.  Since then Mr. Imback has not been back as often.  A couple of days ago, while I was working the front desk, Mr. Imback returned to send a fax.  One of my co-workers was already sending a fax for another patron so she took Mr. Imback's fax as well.  That left me at the desk while Mr. Imback waited for his completed fax.  He proceeded to blather on, and on, and on, and on about nothing inparticular.  He then proceeded to retell his side of the "incident" with his tutor. I was trying not to be annoyed, but I was also trying to finish up a report I was working on.   Another one of my coworkers noticed my frustrations.  She got my attention from accross the library and was pointing to the cordless phone at her ear and then pointing to the ringing desk phone behind me.  See we have this code that if one of us gets "trapped" we will call the front desk from another line and then we are given a chance to break free.  Normally when we answer the phone at the library we say "Mercer County Library, may I help you?".  As I am rushing to answer the phone, knowing it is my coworker, I answer "This is the library, Please help me."  My coworker started busting out laughing so hard that I thought Mr. Imback was on to us.  However, the phone call was successful and I said something like "I'll check on that, please hold" and rushed to the back room.  After hanging out in the back room until his fax was successfully sent, I returned to the front desk.  I didn't see him anywhere and figured I'd lucked out.  I continued to work on my report for about 30 seconds and Mr. Imback came strolling through the front door..."I'm baaaack" he sang.  I nearly screamed, but smiled and was about to say something nice when his phone rang.  He answered his phone and proceeded to talk loudly into it for a couple minutes before leaving, still talking on his phone.  Turns out it was my lucky day.

No comments:

Post a Comment