Search This Blog

Friday, November 26, 2010

'Tis the Season

There are many perks to working at the library, you don't have to pay those outrageous overdue fines, you get first dibs on newly released books and movies, and everyday is an adventure.   A lesser known benefit is approaching as I am writing this post, and I tell you I can hardly wait.  During the Christmas season library employees are given more baked goods than a football team could eat.  The generosity of our patrons never ceases to amaze me.  Fresh baked cookies, brownies, candies and other goodies are brought in by patrons who want to wish us a joyous holiday season and show their appreciation.  Most are delicious homemade treats and are greatly welcomed by the entire library staff. 

However, every year we also get a few not so welcome treats.  For instance, If you ever wondered who buys all those enormous tins filled with popcorn, most of them are grateful library patrons. We will often have a tins filled with popcorn available well into February.  One year a mysterious item appeared that we could only guess was suppose to be some sort of fruitcake, likely resembling the patron giving it. For as many years as I can remember a particularly sweet elderly gentleman would bring us numerous boxes of last year's clearance Christmas candy, likely stored with care until he was ready to deliver them to us. 

This last example is the inspiration for this months post, we won't be receiving his candy this year because he passed away a few months ago.  Although, the treats are not always treasured, the patrons are.  I have missed seeing this patron and this time of year especially I find myself remembering to be thankful for each and every "gift" we get. 

Of course if you find yourself with an excess of delicious baked goods, don't forget your local library.  It is always good to have a librarian on your good side.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome post, Liz! I couldn't have said it better myself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Twas another enjoyable visit to your libraryland blog. I guess you just don't get on the scales during the holidays. Just smile and say "How nice of you to think of us".

    ReplyDelete